Table of Contents
Top Ways to Take Care of your Ceramic Tile Floors
A well-maintained tile floor can perfectly combine style with function, and uplift the feel and look of your home. But you must be careful when using your choice of cleaning products because deep cleaning your floor tiles with some cleaning agents can cause discoloration or dullness. Also, if not regularly cleaned and maintained, debris, dirt and spills can lead to some unwanted grout lines in your tile floors.
Before you jump on to the topic of floor cleaning and maintenance, you must know what type of floor material you have. You cannot use the same cleaning product on the tile floor as you do on the ceramic floor. The damage done can be irreversible in certain cases. No matter the floor material, it can hide dirt, bacteria and other microorganisms which can later lead to some serious health problems.
In order to avoid all that from happening, read below to find out some top ways to take care of your ceramic tile floors:
Tile Floor Regular Cleaning
Although ceramic tiles are easy to maintain, some extensive cleaning techniques, like scrubbing using steel wool, can scratch the tiles easily. Hence, for regular cleaning, it is recommended that you sweep, vacuum or mop using any mild cleaning agent mixed with warm water to wipe your tiles. This should be done atleast once a week to prevent the buildup of grime, skin shells, debris, and animal hair on the floor. Make sure you get into the corners where dirt tends to pile up.
Since all kinds of flooring materials, be it tiles or mosaic, are susceptible to being infected by bacteria and dust, regular cleaning is necessary. Using dusters and wipers can control the growth of germs and prevent dust particles from scratching the tiles. This also keeps the allergens and pathogens from spreading through air.
Flexible Mops for reaching all corners
When cleaning an office area or your bedroom, one can miss out on some nooks and corners. These are the spots where germs get the chance to outgrow over time. Some flexible mops can then come to your rescue. They can get into the corners of your house or office and clean up the unattended/forgotten areas.
For working professionals, it isn’t always possible to focus on the details. This can lead them to miss out on the grease-absorbing grout, every time they do their regular cleaning. It also isn’t affordable to hire a cleaning service too often. It’s often the grout which takes away from the shine of your tile floors.
What you must then do is devise a cleaning method yourself. You can make a paste of baking soda and water, apply it on the grout and let it sit overnight. Next morning, you wet a soft-bristle brush and scrub the grout with it. Repeat this process for a few days until the grout gets back its original colour. The application of a silicon-based sealer can prevent future stains.
Hire a professional cleaner for deep cleaning
Cleaning the house daily can be a difficult task for working professionals. This increases the chances of your place being infected and developing unwanted clutter. A professional cleaning service can then come to your rescue. The trained professionals use their skills to understand the requirements of your place. They use certain special skills and equipment, like a rotary scrubber, to clean and polish floors. They use cleaning products suitable for your floor tiles. Their cleaning devices and techniques can clean grout lines and make the floor shine.
Some best practices
Retaining the shine of your ceramic tile floor is possible if you follow some simple steps:
- Clean regularly : One should make it a habit to sweep, vacuum or damp mop the floors regularly, to avoid dirt and dust from getting embedded in the tile and grit from dulling your floor’s glaze. Make sure that dirt and spills do not get a chance to settle on the tile floors. Try to do a spot test with your choice of detergent or cleaning solution to prevent any permanent damage. Regular cleaning does not necessitate the use of equipment, such as a tile floor cleaner machine, but boosts your tile’s gloss and shine.
- Change water frequently: While mopping, change the water as soon as it gets cloudy to avoid leaving a film of grime on the tile.
- Prevent water spots: When mopping, it is essential to squeeze out the excess water when you dip the rag into the solution or water. It is essential to avoid excessive water as on drying it can lead to water spots. The mop should be damp and not soaking. Your tiles might start to look hazy and discoloured if water or soap residue builds up. If your tile is prone to forming water spots, it is best to dry it with a clean dry cloth as soon as you finish mopping.
- Take care of your grout: Seal the grout after you have installed your tiles. This keeps dirt and other unwanted elements from being able to penetrate the grout. Consult with an expert to know about the sealing schedule.
- Repair or replace damaged floors: Damaged tiles can accumulate dirt and dust and distract your mind from the elegant tiled floor. So repair or replace a cracked or damaged tile as soon as possible.
Tiled floors always make for an impressive flooring option. It is elegant, cost-effective and designed to last. Although cleaning the house isn’t really a difficult task if done regularly, the only obstacle that comes in the way is time and efficiency.
Regular maintenance may leave the floor looking spick and span, but lacks the equipment and techniques to remove the microscopic germs hidden undercover or in between the tiles. When you hire a professional cleaning service for a scheduled deep cleaning, they not only disinfect your floors but also sanitize the carpets, curtains and upholstery. This makes your house a healthy place and restores the glow of your floors for a longer period of time.