Table of Contents
How to Improve Your Home Security
Once you make your home a comfortable and inviting place for you and your family, the next step would be to improve your home security.
It won’t be easy to find comfort in an area that you don’t feel is secure enough to stay. Thus, it would help if you made an effort to improve your home security to do that.
To get you started, here are eight essential tips that will help you improve your home security.
Reinforce Entry Points
You might not think that criminals dare go through your front door or any doors in your home to try to get into it. What you don’t know is that it’s a more common phenomenon than you would think.
Thus, if you want to reinforce any place in your home for your security, it should be the various entry points around your home.
Besides getting high-quality materials for your doors and windows, you should also pay attention to the frames that hold them. Ensure that the frames are sturdy and won’t break down easily with the slightest pressure.
If you have sliding windows or doors, you should also leave a metal bar of sorts to stop your door from opening even if it’s unlocked. You should also set up a home security alarm around your entry points, so you know if someone breaks into your home.
Avoid Doors with Glass Near the Handle
Speaking of securing your doors, make sure that you don’t have any entries that are made out of glass or have glass near the door handles.
Since glass is such a delicate material, it’s so easy to break them. If you’re going to have a door made out of glass, make sure that it’s of a sturdier quality so you can’t just break it quickly.
At the very least, you should get a door that doesn’t have glass near the handle because this can be an enticing target for burglars. If you have glass near the door handle, they can easily break that part of the door and open the door.
Install Security Solutions
If improving your home security is a priority for you, you should be willing to invest money and effort.
The most significant upgrade that you can do to improve your home security is investing in a home security alarm system. The system will serve as your best defense against burglaries, break-ins, and the like.
There are all sorts of security solutions available to you that will vary depending on your budget. You can consult with a security professional to figure out the best security solution for your needs, and that fits within your budget.
If you want to automate some home security practices, installing security solutions is the best way to do it.
Invest in CCTV Cameras
A pricier home security investment would be CCTV cameras, but they’re well worth the price in bettering your home security.
You can install CCTV cameras in critical areas of your home and outside of it to see what goes on around your property. At the same time, if it’s visible from the outside, it can deter criminals from targeting your home.
In the event of a home invasion, a CCTV is excellent because it can help identify who the suspects are. You can see an intruder approaches, so you have that extra time to call the authorities.
Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p -1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from anywhere in real time using your mobile device. While live streaming, use two-way audio to speak with your friends and family through the Wyze app.
- Motion/Sound Recording with Free Cloud Storage – Wyze Cam can automatically record a 12-second video clip when motion or sound is detected and saves that video to the cloud for 14-days, for free. Mobile push notifications can be enabled so you’re only alerted when something is detected letting you stay on top of things without having to constantly monitor the app. Or, record continuously to a MicroSD card (sold separately) regardless of motion and sound. Compatible with 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB FAT32 MicroSD cards.
- See in the dark – Night vision lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using 4 infrared (IR) LEDs. Note: IR does not work through glass windows.
- Voice Controlled? You got it! – Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your voice to see who’s at your front door, how your baby’s doing, or if your 3D printer has finished printing. Wyze Cam is only compatible with the 2. 4GHz WiFi network (does not support 5GHz Wi-Fi) and Apple (iOS) and Android mobile devices.
- Share with those who care – One Wyze Cam can be shared with multiple family members so everyone can have access to its live stream and video recordings. Just have your family members download the Wyze app and invite them to your account. Camera sharing can also be easily removed.
Cut High Hedges
You might not think it’s an essential part of improving your home security, but cutting any high hedges around your home can also enhance your home’s level of protection.
Criminals might want to target your home simply because there are many places to hide in, such as the high hedges present around your property.
If your home is clear of any potential hiding spots, it can deter burglars from wanting to target your home. Since you don’t have any high hedges, neighbors, and other people can see something suspicious.
Install Residential Gates
Another worthy investment in improving your home security would be installing residential gates around your property.
When your front lawn is too open, it can feel like you don’t have privacy and as much security as you could have in your property. Installing residential gates will give you that sense of privacy and an added measure of security.
Get Close With Your Neighbors
As much as possible, try and build a positive relationship between you and your neighbors.
When you have some form of friendship with your neighbors, it is a lot easier to feel safe within your neighborhood. You can rely on them to watch your house while you’re away and report any unusual activity that they find.
Develop Good Security Habits
There are a few essential security habits that you should already be doing even when you don’t have an alarm system.
One example would always be to keep your doors and windows locked, even when you’re home. Unlocked doors and windows are a common way for criminals to enter your home.
Aside from that, you should also make sure that you keep your home well-lit. That way, there won’t be blind spots that you or your CCTV won’t be able to see.
There are several good security habits that you should also do when you have an alarm or security system around your home.
For example, if you hear your alarm beeping constantly, take note of it. Before you try to look for ways of how to turn off DSC alarm beep, you should find out why it’s beeping first. The beeping is the only way for your alarm to communicate with you, so find out why it’s beeping in the first place.
If it’s beeping because it’s running out of batteries, make sure that you don’t wait before replacing them. Otherwise, you could be compromising your home security.
Improving your home security is the cherry on top when it comes to making a house a home.
It’s an extra step that will make you comfortable and safe in the presence of your home.
Although some home security improvements would mean you need to shell out some cash, these investments are worth it.
Apply the tips listed in this article to improve upon your home security and feel safe living in your own home.