Statement Furniture Pieces
Statement pieces have always been an essential design element at home—whether it’s to inject a little more character, or to spark up a conversation among your guests. However, there’s more to choosing a statement piece than going for the most elaborate chandeliers or ornate mirrors.
Statement Pieces For Your Living Room
Beyond making an immediate visual impact in your home, the right statement piece helps tie together a room’s unique pieces, while also setting the tone for your entire decorating style. Below, we discuss some key considerations to make when selecting a statement piece for your home.
1. Be Smart with Color
Colour is inarguably the first thing a person notices when they walk inside a room. You can use this design element to your advantage, as having the right shades can help highlight a strong statement piece in your home. As we shared in our ‘Necessary Elements of Interior Design You Should Know‘ post, some designers often let a piece of furniture be their focal point.
From there, such pieces can be used as a guide in creating a decorating strategy, which then leads us to one of the handiest tools you can use in interior design: the colour wheel. Freshome recommend using a colour wheel, so you can determine what complementary hues work best to balance out the boldness of a shade. You don’t want to go overboard with the saturation, and you also want it to be cohesive.
Safavieh Milan Shag Collection
- Safavieh’s beautifully soft and cozy Milan shag rug with 2,000+ customer reviews
- High density polypropylene pile provides one of the plushest feelings available in a rug
- Textured extra thick 2 inch pile height furnishes exceptional sink in comfort
- Made in Turkey using a power loomed construction for precision and clarity of color
- Works effortlessly with contemporary, transitional, minimalist, casual, and modern styles of décor
- Versatile contemporary style brightens up any space for a designer look in almost any room
- Safavieh has been a trusted brand in home furnishings for over 100 years, providing quality craftsmanship and unmatched style
- Avoid vacuuming the fringes of your rug, especially those on hand-knotted rugs. Use a broom to clean fringes. Long term exposure to humid weather can be harmful to area rugs
The 60-30-10 Rule
Figuring out a colour palette can be quite tricky, so interior designers have formulated a simple yet effective way to flesh things out through the ’60-30-10′ rule. The Spruce defines this method as choosing three main hues for your colour palette. The first one, which takes up 60% of the design, should be a neutral hue and serves as the base.
Meanwhile, the secondary (or the 30% portion) should be a bolder shade of the base. Lastly, the remaining 10% should be the accent shade, and therefore is the most eye-catching colour. This is where your statement piece can come in. For this, you can select a large, stunning painting, or a vast area rug in a striking shade. Always remember that for the colour of your statement pieces, more vivid is often better.
2. Play with Texture
When it comes to home decor, texture tends to take a back seat, as colour and shape often steal the show. Despite this, applying this design element into your home’s design can truly make a world of difference. Adding a touch of texture through a statement piece effortlessly brings some much-needed dimension into your room.
On top of this, HomeServe claims that playing with textures allows homeowners to emphasise natural materials: think wool carpets, linen draping, and wooden surfaces. While the texture trend was highlighted last spring, it remains a favoured choice among many homes today — thanks to this shift towards natural furniture. As explained by interior designer Sarah Baeumler, natural materials are a powerful design aspect because they breathe life into your home.
With this in mind, why not swap standard metal pieces for a statement piece made out of natural material? Here are some examples.
You can’t go wrong with leather. Not only is it a classic textile that always looks sophisticated; it has a glossy finish that makes it look very sleek. A great way to use leather as a statement piece is by having leather sofas or chairs in your living room. For instance, Frag’s leather seats showcase how this material can be used to craft a truly captivating piece of furniture.
Christopher Knight Home Milani Tufted Scroll Arm Velvet Loveseat
- Antique styling with a luxe edge
- Sumptuous show stopping velvet
- Envelop yourself in its sweeping curves and enjoy a romantic Tryst with your Beau
- Gothic, glamorous, and gorgeous
- An accent piece that adds drama
- Vamp up your living room with velvet for a look that’s of-the-now but truly timeless
- The highest standard of craftsmanship with superior quality materials
- Handcrafted elements, and exquisite attention to detail give a luxuriant feel
- Chic, comfortable, and seriously covetable
Wood is another natural element to look out for when selecting a statement piece. What makes wood wonderful and easy to work with is that it’s such a flexible material, and thus it is suitable for practically any design style — from tropical chic living rooms, to minimalist bedrooms.
Just like we previously shared in our ‘10 Cool Modern Indoor Hanging Chairs Ideas and Designs‘ post, there are some artistic hanging chairs that will work well in a modern home. Alternatively, you can incorporate it for a rustic touch in your home by having vintage or reclaimed wooden tables, chairs, and even consoles.
Hanging Chair with Comfortable Brown Cushion and Pillow
- The Greenstell Egg Hanging Chair features environmental simulation rattan PE material made with a hand-woven process
- It’s casual, practical and super easy to clean.
- You will be amazed at how smooth the hammock swing is on the surface
- The corrosion resistant, non-static, great flexibility and no fading features even under the sun and rain offer the basket swing chair an incredible service life
- Exquisite and fashionable weaving makes the Greenstell Egg Hanging Chair very stylish
- The eye-catching egg shape makes it a perfect addition to your home
- The design has been tested to fit the curve of the human body and reduce fatigue
- This unique swing chair is a perfect addition to any outside space
- Max Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
3. Add a Pop of Pattern
It goes without saying that patterns elevate the personality even in the dullest of rooms. However, it’s important to be careful when applying this design element. Case in point: Having an array of patterns at home can be quite the eyesore. On the other hand, having just one pattern that’s too subtle will end up blending into the background.
According to Homes to Love, the key to making them a focal point is by complementing them with plain colours. Utilising your patterns by following this method for your design strategy allows your statement piece to truly shine by itself, while staying true to your aesthetic. On that note, here are two fantastic patterns you can consider using for your statement piece.
More than just a pretty pattern, incorporating florals is a great way to inject a bit of flair. In fact, The Zoe Report reveals that this pattern is shifting from the usual wallpaper or carpet designs, as floral furniture is expected to make waves in the industry.
If your preferred design style is “country” or shabby chic, it would be ideal to have floral furniture as your statement piece. This way, you maintain that semblance of tradition, while combining it with modernity.
Cotton Blend Upholstered Accent Arm Chair With Wooden Legs
- The Paradise Collection Introduces an Ideal Chair For Any Room in Your Home With Practical Dimensions of 27″ x 32″ x 36″ and Weighs Only 30 lbs.
- Durable Craftsmanship: Constructed with Kiln Dried Hardwood and 11 Layer Plywood Compliant to CARB, This Accent Chair is Built to Last For a Long Period of Time
- Upholstered With Care: This Accent Chair Has Been Upholstered With a Cotton Blend Mixture and is Hand Painted With Rub Finished Wooden Legs to Add an Elegant Appeal
- Foot Assembly Required Upon Delivery. Upon Delivery There Will Be Detailed Instructions for Basic Steps on How to Assemble the Legs and Begin to Enjoy Your New Chair Immediately!
- Purchase With Certainty: Jennifer Taylor Home Creates and Designs Durable and Long Lasting Products Out of Quality. Following Modern Trends of Home and Furniture, it is Without a Doubt that Jennifer Taylor Home Will Provide the Perfect Creation for You
In contrast to florals, geometric prints are much edgier, making them a great choice if you fancy a design that’s more on the contemporary side. And with its impressive shapes, a geometric print can seamlessly fit into any statement piece — from dressers and ottomans, to area rugs and curtains.
What’s more is that this print doesn’t have to be limited to pieces of furniture, as your statement piece can even extend to wallpaper. The important thing here is not to cover the entire room with the pattern. Think accent walls, or even using it as a framed piece of artwork.
All in all, ensuring that your home has the right statement piece is a surefire way to upgrade your home’s design and give it a breath of fresh air. Plus, if you pick one that really speaks to your personality, it is sure to make your space all the more authentic and you.
|Top Top||Pulaski Modern Industrial Metal and Leather Aviation Accent Arm Chair||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Pulaski Handmade Aviation Accent Chest, Medium, Black||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Butler Specialty Company Midway Aviator Living Room Coffee Cocktail Table - Silver/Gray||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||ACME Brancaster Desk - 92190 - Aluminum||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Safavieh Safavieh Home Collection Aviator Desk, Silver||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Best Choice Products Modern Faux Leather Convertible Futon Sofa Bed Recliner Couch w/Metal Legs, 2 Cup Holders - Brown||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Minka-Aire F844-DK Light Wave 52" Ceiling Fan with LED Light and Remote, Distressed Koa||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||Hand-Hammered Aviator Aluminum Mid Century Modern Classic Arne Jacobsen Style Egg Replica Lounge Chair with Premium Vintage Wax Black PU Leather Fiberglass Inner Shell and Polished Aluminium Frame||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||NauticalMart Aviator 3 Door Sideboard End Table||Prime||Take a Look|
|Top||NauticalMart Side Table - Metal Side Table - Metal End Table - Office Furniture - Metal - Airplane Metal - Side Table - End Table||Prime||Take a Look|