Timeless Swiss Design: The Rento Coffee Table by Dietiker
The Rento coffee table has cemented itself as a quintessential representation of enduring Swiss design among midcentury modern furnishings. Originally dubbed “Rundtisch” (round table) when designed by architect Fritz Haller in the 1960s, the Rento embodies the minimalist aesthetic and functional ethos synonymous with the Swiss design movement.
The clean, simple form of the Rento features a circular tabletop that sits gracefully atop a triangular, rounded base of solid beech wood. Devoid of ornamentation, the coffee table achieves elegance through its precision geometry and thoughtful details like the dowel connectors between the base and table.
While modern in form, the Rento remains highly versatile and fitting for contemporary and traditional spaces. The Rento is produced in a range of wood veneers, adding warmth and texture that complements its minimalist silhouette. Diameter options accommodate small or large spaces.
As a brand, Dietiker represents three generations of dedication to Swiss craftsmanship and design. The Rento, still produced by Dietiker after almost 60 years, maintains widespread appeal thanks to its practicality and timeless aesthetic. Understated yet cleverly designed, the Rento embodies the ingenuity and simplicity that make Swiss design remarkable worldwide.
- Designed by Swiss architect Fritz Haller in the 1960s for Dietiker, originally called “Rundtisch”
- Part of the mid-century modern movement, with a simple, minimalist style
- The circle-shaped tabletop sits atop a rounded triangular base
- The base is made from solid beech wood with dowel connectors
- Available in various wood veneers like oak, walnut, cherry etc.
- A diameter of 39.4 inches makes it medium-sized for a coffee table
- Height is 14.2 inches, making it easy to reach drinks/items on the tabletop
- The base has hollow space inside to store magazines or other items
- Highly versatile design that blends with modern, retro, and eclectic decor
- Reflects Swiss design principles of practicality and functional simplicity
- Produced by Dietiker since the 1960s with classic appeal that has endured decades
In summary, the Rento coffee table by Dietiker is an iconic circular Swiss design known for its efficient, minimalist form and high-quality construction. Its timeless look continues to appeal to modern tastes.