We’re sure you will agree that you feel and perform better at work after you’ve had a solid night’s sleep. It’s even been proven that our bodies function better when we’re well-rested.
According to the Dalai Lama, “Sleep is the best meditation.” The problem is that many of us suffer from too little or low quality sleep. Here are some good habits that are easy to implement and will help you sleep better at night.
Table of Contents
Prepare for Bed
Often people don’t prepare for sleep. They go directly from doing a stimulating activity like watching television, straight into bed, and expect to fall asleep. In this case, your brain is still in active mode.
Create a bedtime routine to prepare your mind for sleep. Take a shower or warm bath, dim the lights in your bedroom, and get changed into pajamas. These activities focus your brain on the fact that sleep is coming so it can prepare.
Update Your Bed
When was the last time you checked your mattress? We spend much of our lives lying on our beds and don’t consider that it can be affecting our sleep quality.
Choose a mattress that suits your needs best. If you have posture problems, then a harder mattress will be better for you. Find out more about the best firm mattress for your body type and sleeping habits before you go to purchase one.
A high-quality mattress makes all the difference in the way you feel when you wake up in the morning. Considering it should last you 8-10 years, it’s an investment worth making.
Signature Design by Ashley
- Queen Size Bed in a Box: For supportive, dreamy sleeping, this mattress brings it home with comfortable layers; Plus, it comes in a box, so it’s easier than ever to get a better night’s rest
- Hybrid mattress: Mattress is designed with gel memory foam, upholstery grade comfort support foam, and 680 individual power packed wrapped coils for maximum lumbar support. Quilt foam gives you that soft, cozy comfort you crave
- Maintenance free: Made of hypoallergenic material to keep out dust mites, pollen, mold and pet dander—perfect for kids or adults who suffer from allergies
- Ready for instant enjoyment: Arrives in a box. Simply unbox, cut the protective wrap, unroll and watch the mattress expand. Mattress is safe to sleep on immediately but can take 72+ hours for any residual odors from packaging to dissipate and for mattress to completely expand based on ambient room temperature, humidity, air pressure & ventilation.
- The chime mattresses should fully expand within 48 hours, though they can take up to a week to reach their max thickness.
- Queen size: Measures 60″ W x 79.5″ D x 12″ H and is compatible with most queen bed frames. 13-gauge pocketed coils. 1.5″ high density super soft quilt foam
Reduce Caffeine and Alcohol
We’re sure you’ve been told more than once not to drink coffee before bedtime, and in this case, it’s true. Caffeine and alcohol are both stimulants and will keep you awake.
We all know that caffeine wakes us up, but did you know that alcohol can actually interfere with your melatonin production? It affects the natural sleep rhythms and disrupts sleep during the night.
Personally I have no problems sleeping after a late night coffee, and I quite enjoy one before I go to bed. But this is not for everyone. Cut it out and check to see if it affects your sleep.
Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker
- On/off indicator light lets you know when your coffee maker is on or off
- Grab a cup auto pause stops cycle if you need a cup before brewing is finished
- Dual water window allows visibility as you fill no more overflows
- Lift and clean filter basket for fast and easy clean up
- Easy cord storage eliminates counter clutter. Watts: 900
- Cord length: 26 inches
- Height: 12.56 inches x width: 11.76 inches x depth: 8.43 inches. Weight: 3.6 pounds
Ditch Digital Devices
Lying in bed and scrolling through social media is a bad habit. The neurons are firing away in excitement from seeing the latest cat videos. It’s not even remotely focusing on winding down and sleeping.
According to research, you should switch off all devices at least 30 minutes before going to bed. It gives your mind a chance to switch off and focus on sleep.
For me personally it is a case of leaving the mobile downstairs. I sleep far better when it is out of sight than I do when I know it is around. It takes time to get into a habit of not being with it, but it can make a big difference in your sleep pattern.
Reduce Daytime Naps
When a day gets jam-packed and stressful, a few people like to take an afternoon nap to get a boost for the rest of the day. This can be very beneficial for you as it improves your alertness and performance.
The critical thing to remember is that a nap shouldn’t be longer than 20-30 minutes. Any longer than that, and your mind starts to think it’s going into long term sleep, and this is what messes up your sleep patterns.
Consistent Sleep Patterns
Keep your bedtime and your waking time consistent, even on weekends. Your body aligns with the sunrise and sunset, and your circadian functions are set on that loop.
Remaining consistent with your bedtime and waking time can aid the long-term quality of your sleep.
In years gone by, dinner used to be eaten during the late afternoon and was quite a heavy meal. Supper, on the other hand, was a light snack late in the evening, and therefore not heavy on the stomach.
If you eat a huge meal before going to bed, your body is concentrating on digestion rather than releasing HGH and melatonin, which promotes sleep. Try not to eat a big meal two to three hours before bedtime. If you are hungry, have a small snack such as an apple or a cracker with a slice of cheese.
Enhance your Sleep Area
Be mindful of light, noise, and temperature when optimizing your bedroom. Wherever possible, minimize the chances of light coming into the bedroom, and close doors and windows to dim any noise.
Thick curtains that close completely will help in getting rid of external lights such as street lights. If you can’t keep the noise out naturally, get some earplugs to give you the peace you need.
NICETOWN Thermal Insulated Grommet Blackout Curtains
- READY MADE: Set includes 2 BLACKOUT CURTAINS PANELS of 42″ wide x 63″ length with 6 grommets top each. Quality fabric without liner feels soft and heavy.
- SERVE WELL: Curtains impede 85%-99% light and UV rays(Dark color curtains work well). Noise-reducing, better TV viewing thanks to the innovative triple weave technology.
- ENERGY SMART: Triple weave blackout fabric balances room temperature by insulating against summer heat and winter chill. Protect your furniture, floors, and artwork from the ravages of the sun, the drapes will pay for themselves off over time.
- GOOD TO GO: Thread trimmed and wrinkle-free, ring (1.6-inch inner diameter) fits easily with standard curtain rods. All sets for you to put them up right away.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: NICETOWN blackout curtains are made to last. Machine washable in cold water, tumble dry. Quick ironing or steam clean when needed. Visiting the NICETOWN store, find out your favorite curtains.
This is a habit that won’t only improve your sleep but will give you endless other benefits. Exercise helps your body to work better in every possible way, including tiring you out so you can sleep.
Exercising out in the sunshine helps the natural circadian rhythm, and increases your body’s production of sleep hormones. Your body tends to work more efficiently when it feels healthy.
De-stress and Release
Sometimes days can be stressful, and we carry this anxiety home in the evenings. A vital habit of getting into if you want a good night’s sleep is to let go of the day’s worries.
Whether you meditate, write in your journal, or do a focused activity such as yoga, it’s beneficial because it clears your mind. If you’re calm and your thoughts are clear, you will find it a lot easier to sleep.
BalanceFrom GoYoga All Purpose High Density Non-Slip Exercise Yoga Mat
- 68″ long 24″ wide ensures comfort. With high density eco-friendly material, the 1/4” thick premium mat comfortably cushions spine, hips, knees and elbows on hard floors while keeps you balanced
- With double sided non-slip surfaces, BalanceFrom all-purpose premium exercise yoga mat comes with an excellent slip resistant advantage to prevent injuries
- Exceptional resilience allow you to keep your balance during any exercise style. Moisture resistant technology makes the mat to be easily washed with soap and water
- Easy strapping and light weight feature are added to this mat for easy transport and storage. BalanceFrom all-purpose exercise yoga mat is manufactured and sold exclusively by Amazon store
- A free yoga mat strap is included. All genuine BalanceFrom products are covered by a 100% BalanceFrom satisfaction guarantee and 2-year BalanceFrom warranty. Material: PVC
There are things you can do for those of you who struggle to get a night of good sleep. Creating an atmosphere that promotes rest is essential, and before going to bed, limit your caffeine, alcohol, and food intake.
Try to switch off your digital devices when getting ready for bed. When you’re finally ready to sleep, letting go of the day’s worries will ensure that you rest snugly and more comfortable on your ideal mattress.