Design Ideas To Spruce Up Your Home
In most parts of the world, strict community quarantine measures have already lasted for more than two months. With most families stuck at home, everyone is running out of things to do during this period. So if you’re trying to find activities to ease your boredom, try doing some of these interior design ideas for a fun yet productive time!
However, before you embark on your home makeover, take time to consider important factors such as your family budget and your building’s renovation rules, to avoid unnecessary issues with the management. Also, the quarantine period means limited resources for your do-it-yourself (DIY) projects because of the scheduled trips to the grocery, closed establishments, and online delivery delays.
Home DIY In Quarantine
Take note of the following DIY tips before turning your home interior design ideas into a reality:
- Select specific ideas in which you have easy access to supplies. – Check out the supplies that you already have at home, and pick design ideas that include them. This way, you don’t have to go through the hassle of going outside or waiting for supply deliveries for days (or even weeks).
- If you don’t have the extra tools, consider borrowing from a friend or a neighbor. – Remember to call ahead of time before visiting their home. If it’s a friend, make sure they live nearby; so that you can easily go to them by walking or biking. Observe social distancing at all times, and don’t forget to abide by the quarantine rules of your communities.
- If all else fails, plan ahead before buying anything. – Renovators suggest preparing a list and calling or messaging a store before heading over or ordering anything. Also, check their social media accounts or website to find out if they are open for business.
- Contact an expert for design ideas. – Browse through numerous interior design websites for DIY inspiration and tips. Or, if you want to be absolutely sure in picking the best color schemes or materials, try contacting professionals for expert advice.
- Prepare protective gear before starting the project. – Protect yourself not just from COVID-19, but also from injuries. Prepare gloves, aprons, and other protective items for you and other family members before doing any renovation work. Don’t let other family members join in if they are allergic to certain smells or chemicals that you are using for your design.
- Eliminate hazards before and after doing any DIY task. – Follow the handling and storage instructions for potentially dangerous tools or chemicals that you will use in your chosen flat interior design ideas. Remember to clean up after finishing your DIY projects, and properly keep harmful tools away from children’s reach.
Now that you have noted down these tips, it’s time to pick some quick and easy interior design ideas for you to work on. Choose the best project that fits your preference, and turn your home into a cozy and Instagram-worthy space.
Declutter Visible Spaces and Surfaces
According to Lindsay Tan, the Auburn University Associate Professor of the College of Human Sciences and Interior Design Program Coordinator, small spaces should have less materials or easy-to-clean surfaces to maximize sanitization against COVID-19.
So, start decluttering visible surfaces of your home, like bookcases or glass shelves. Give your home a neat and organized feel by removing outdated magazines or old figurines that no longer fit your taste. Plus, Linely brand designer April Sargant says that decluttered surfaces will give you a good sense of space—which is a must during this quarantine period.
The Declutter Challenge
Paint Your Bedroom Walls
Painting walls is one interior design idea for bedrooms that you will definitely enjoy and save a lot of money from. All you need is a can of paint, paintbrushes, and a couple of old newspapers to wrap and protect items from being painted on. Decorate each family member’s room with tranquil and sophisticated colors, or be more creative by painting their favorite scenery or objects, like clouds, balloons, and robots.
Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
Add Christmas Lights to Your Relaxation Nook
Have you seen those cute and relaxing social media photos with fairy lights? Recreate that whimsical vibe in the comforts of your own home by bringing out your Christmas lights. Place the lights creatively in a relaxation nook in your home, together with stuff toys, books, video games, board games, or basically anything that your family can use to have fun.
LED Window Curtain String Light
Create an Intriguing Floating Illusion With Your Furniture
Most interior design ideas for small houses focus on maximizing the area. In this regard, one of the best condo layout ideas to maximize space in your home is hanging your furniture by using some hooks and extra wall brackets. Anna Roberts, a DIY blogger and expert, says that floating bookshelves create an awesome floating illusion of your belongings, all the while maximizing the use of your walls.
Magnetic Levitation Floating Globe Anti Gravity
Organize a Separate Study or Work Area
If you’re currently working from home, you may find it difficult to focus or even do anything at all because of too many distractions! One of the expert tips to stay productive while working at home is to make a work or a study area for the student or the employee in your condo. Add office or study accessories in the area, like books, pens, notebooks, and paper clips to get them in the mood to work or study for the day.
Liven Up Your Room With Terrariums
Interior design ideas for living rooms mean creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere, since this is where your guests or your family stay most of the time. Adding plants in your home, as suggested by famous interior writer Katie Woods, will add an incredible touch to any living room. So, grab a few pebbles, soil, small toys, and seeds from small plants like monggo, chili, or tomatoes and arrange them creatively in clear bowls and jars to make terrariums.
Get Creative With an Awesome Photo Wall
Photo walls can make a boring wall look artistically amazing. Make your own photo wall by picking a theme such as nature or vintage then finding or printing photos that you love the most. Dani Taylor, buying director of homeware UK company Cox & Cox, also suggests the use of old magazines, newspapers, postcards, or wrappers as creative frames or designs for your gallery wall.
Transform Your Kitchen Cabinets Into Wraps and Paint
Who knew that interior design ideas for kitchens don't need to be grandiose? All you have to do is grab some paint and cut out strips of old fancy wrappers to design your kitchen cabinets. Make sure to mix and match complementary hues, or take a cue from designer tricks, for awesome color palettes like using your clothes as color guides to give your kitchen a sophisticated or a refreshing new vibe.
Show Off Your Best Collection
Do you have personal collections of interesting items? These could be travel magnets, dolls, pins, tickets, or postcards. Whatever they are, critically-acclaimed interior designer Katharine Pooley encourages homeowners like you to use these personal collections as amazing wall or shelf decorations. You can even dedicate a particular area in your home to them, so that visitors or anyone in your family can easily admire them or use them as awesome photo backdrops.
Wrap Jars in Yarns or Twine For Cozy Lights
Here’s another one of those interior designs ideas for bedrooms: making luminous yarn or twine-wrapped jars. To make these nifty jars, just wrap some clean jars with yarn or twine and paint the jars. Once the yarn is dry, peel it away and place tea lights or candles inside the jars for an instant bedroom glow that is guaranteed to be perfect for your social media feed.
Enjoy The Outdoors in a Safe Way
New research by the Northwestern University found out COVID-19 patients with low Vitamin D levels are severely affected by the virus. Based on this, why not get a healthy dose of Vitamin D from the sun by maximizing your balcony, windows, or patio? Glenn Lawson, designer and co-founder of the furniture company Lawson-Fenning, says that you should consider moving your chair to your balcony or patio while you enjoy a cup of coffee or tea in the morning.
Light Up Scents For a Nice-Smelling Kitchen
Here is one of those interior design ideas for kitchens that hits two birds with one stone. Grab your stash of scented candles and arrange them neatly or creatively in your kitchen. Then, open your windows and light up a scented candle to get rid of that pesky kitchen smell. Or, you can simply enjoy a nice vanilla or cinnamon aroma while munching on some sweet afternoon snacks.
Whatever nifty interior design ideas that you have decided to try, don’t forget to get your family members involved in some way for a grand bonding time. Add some background music while working, as well, and prepare yummy snacks to dig into after you’re done with your DIY project.